Accountable Now is a global platform that supports civil society organisations (CSOs) to be transparent, responsive to stakeholders and focused on delivering impact. Our Members are internationally operating CSOs who drive this agenda together with us.
Accountable Now was founded in 2008 under the name International NGO Charter of Accountability by 10 leading CSOs, including development, humanitarian, environmental, rights-based and advocacy organsiations. As Membership and global collaboration increase, our collective voice is strengthened. Today, we have 26 Member Organisations which are active in more than 150 countries and impact stakeholders all over the world.
Strategy Beyond 2015
Accountable Now supports CSOs in achieving better impact for people and the environment as laid down in our Strategy Beyond 2015 with three main goals:
- Continuously improve accountability standards, practices, tools and monitoring modalities;
- Enhance public trust in CSOs ability to listen, learn and co-create improvements;
- Build a global community of practice to learn from each other & strengthen our collective voice
Our Definition of Accountability
CSOs help to protect and advance people’s rights, drive sustainable development and hold businesses and governments to account. To do this credibly and effectively they have to live what they demand from others. Together with nine CSO accountability networks from across the world we agreed on the following definition.
- being transparent on what the organisation is, what it commits to doing and progress achieved;
- engaging key stakeholders in meaningful dialogue to enable continuous improvement for those we serve;
- using power responsibly and enabling stakeholders to hold us to account effectively.